After spending time in many corners of the world, Mr. McHugh landed in Vancouver, Washington with a special affinity for Latin America. This connection with the region and its people led him to earn his Master’s degree in Latin America and International Law from the University of Texas School of Law. Since beginning his practice, Mr. McHugh has represented clients in many types of employment cases including severance negotiations, employment discrimination, wage and hour disputes, and more for both employees and employers. He also has experience in many types of business litigation, construction litigation, traffic infractions, and civil litigation matters. His breadth of experience makes him a compassionate counselor and a fierce advocate in the courtroom.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Volunteer at Navigate Virtual Legal Clinic (2020 – Present)
- Trustee, Federal Bar Association, Western District of Washington
- Past Secretary, Clark County Young Lawyer Section
- Coach, Cascadia Tech Academy’s High School Mock Trial Team
- Member, Washington Employment Lawyers Association
Admitted to Practice
- Washington State Courts
- Oregon State Courts
- U.S District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, University of Arizona
- Juris Doctor, Gonzaga School of Law
- LL.M., in Latin American and International Law, University of Texas
Awards & Recognition
- Super Lawyers 2022 WA Rising Stars List
- Super Lawyers 2021 WA Rising Stars List
- Accomplished & Under 40 Award 2021 – Vancouver Business Journal
- Super Lawyers 2020 WA Rising Stars List
Featured Video By Colin
– Luke R.
I would like to express how thankful I am to have Colin McHugh, support and direct me in my recent legal matter. Colin expertise in law and legal representation was outstanding. Colin was always available via phone, email or in person. Colin brought comfort and security. Having Colin represent me left a positive outcome. I would without a doubt, highly recommend Colin McHugh to my friends, family and colleagues, for any legal advice and representation.
– Lupe C.
Last August we were in a disabled vehicle on the site of the freeway (waiting for a tow truck) and were struck by an intoxicated driver. This was in incredibly scary and overwhelming experience. Colin was very attentive and helpful throughout the entire process. He answered all of my questions and explained step by step how we would get through. I will use Colin for any future needs and would absolutely recommend him.
Featured Blogs By Colin
Blog Outline Short on time? Jump to relevant sections by clicking the links below: I. What “counts” as sexual...
Responding to sexual harassment can be an extremely stressful task and will take a lot of consideration and planning....
Recording conversations can be an important tool to combat sexual harassment in the workplace. Gretchen Carlson’s...
Am I the victim of immigration status or citizenship discrimination? Can I sue my employer for discriminating against...
On May 21, 2021, the Oregon Governor Kate Brown signed Senate Bill (“SB”) 169 which substantially limits covenants...
In 2019, the Washington legislature passed a bill that substantially limits on covenants not to compete...